Zip line adventures in Costa Rica and the risk of flesh-eating bacteria

Share this article

Canopy tours and zip line adventures have become iconic among visitors to Costa Rica. They are a great way to explore our forests and they boast a great safety record, but a recent zip line-related tragedy in the United States has some tourists wondering about secondary dangers of canopy tours.

The case of a young woman in the southern state of Georgia, who is currently being treated for a flesh-eating bacteria infection, brings to mind just how delicate human and animal species can be when bacteria like Aeromonas hydrophila turns to disease.

Aimee Copeland has been in the hospital for almost two weeks after a zip line accident that turned very tragic. She suffered a cut on her left leg when the line she was riding snapped and she fell. Aimee was treated by medical professionals who cleaned her deep cut and closed it with staples. She then contracted necrotizing fasciitis, commonly referred to as flesh-eating bacteria disease.

Miss Copeland has had her left leg amputated and part of her stomach removed. Physicians in charge of her recovery think that her fingers may need to be amputated as well. She is currently on a ventilator and heavily sedated. According to the medical editor at American TV media bureau ABC News, what happened to this young woman boils down to a “perfect storm” of unfortunate factors. Necrotizing fasciitis caused by bacterial infection is extremely rare, but often deadly.

The Aeromonas hydrophila bacterium can be found in various parts of Costa Rica. A 1989 research study by microbiologists from the University of Costa Rica revealed the following information about seven strains of the bacteria collected in Nicoya:

“[they] showed the biochemical characteristics associated with toxin production. These species are widely distributed in the gulf and there is risk of contracting an infection while bathing or when eating raw bivalves (like oysters) from this area.”

This bacterium, or a strain thereof, is also suspected to be behind sudden declines in amphibian populations, and it may have taken away Bufo periglenes, the extinct Golden Toad of Monteverde. The presence of this bacterium in rural water supplies is also suspected of causing gastroentirities.

The likelihood of Aeromonas hydrophila being present at zip line and canopy tours sites in Costa Rica is reasonably high. The likelihood of it causing a deadly infection is negligible. According to a note on the Village Voice -quoting reports from the Associated Press and National Public Radio in the United States- such infections almost never happen. Still, common sense mandates that people with deep cuts should not enter brackish or fresh water -and if by accident they do so, then they should seek medical attention.

Print Friendly

Related Articles

Young Entrepreneurs Awarded for Robotics, Organic Farming, More

By Wendy Anders For the fifth year in a row the Universidad Latina (ULatina) has awarded five youth ages [...]

Barva, Heredia Has Modern, New Health Clinic

By Wendy Anders Barva, a small coffee-growing town north of Heredia, inaugurated a spacious new clinic [...]

Scientists Reveal Some of the Mysteries of Sleep

By Tânia Esteves for EFE No one knows for certain the reason why human beings need several hours of sleep [...]

Bangladesh Patient Recovers from “Tree Man” Disease

By Igor G. Barbero for EFE He may not be able to close his fists perfectly yet, owing to a layer of warts [...]

National Dish of Costa Rica Goes Global With New Campaign

Adding a sexy, healthy spin to our familiar breakfast menu of pancakes, eggs and cereal is now easier [...]

Public Safety and Public Health Officials Team Up for Prevention

By Wendy Anders The Ministry of Public Security and the Costa Rican Nutrition and Health Research and [...]

15% of Foreign Visitors in Costa Rica Are Medical Tourists

Affordable healthcare isn’t a myth. In fact, healthcare systems in other countries can be equally as [...]

More Tourists Struck by Lightning in Costa Rica

Two weeks after eight people were rushed to the hospital due to lightning strikes at the main airport of [...]