It’s always a good time to visit Costa Rica, but for the most part you will always hear it is best during the “summer” time, dry season actually is a better term considering it’s always summer in this country; however, traveling to Costa Rica during the green season or rainy season has its advantages.
The green or rainy season in Costa Rica extends from May through December, however when it comes to tourism the “low season” includes the months of May and June and then September, October and November and even the first ten days of December. July and August used to be considered part of the “low season” but for some years now schools in the country schedule their vacation periods through these two months which also coincide with the summer break in the USA.
Here are the 10 reasons to visit Costa Rica during the rainy season:
1. Better Prices: Budget is always important, and the prices for airfare, hotels and tours sky rocket during the high season, so if you are
2. Less Crowds: Some people like crowds, but the majority tries to avoid them. Less crowds translate into better attention, shorter waiting times and more relaxation.
3. Sunny Mornings, Rainy Afternoons: With exceptions of course, rainy season in Costa Rica offers hot sunny morning and afternoon showers, this gives you enough time to enjoy the beach and different tours in the early hours of the day and enjoy your afternoon relaxing with the sound of the rain.
4. Green and greener: Rain makes everything greener and that makes for beautiful views, the rainforests come alive and this draws more wildlife.
5. Caribbean Coast: The Caribbean coast of Costa Rica (Limón) has the best weather during the months of September and October the beaches and National Parks in this area are worth visiting.
6. Whale Watching: If one of your interests is having the opportunity to go on a dolphin and whale watching tour, the rainy season is the perfect time. Although both whales and dolphins can be spotted other times of the year, the humpback whales show up in large numbers as they migrate to warmer waters during the month of September and early October. Marino Ballena National Park even hosts a Whale Watching Festival during this time.
7. Tortuguero: If you want to have the opportunity to witness the nesting of sea turtles, Tortuguero in the Caribbean is the perfect spot, and the green season is an optimal time to catch this amazing phenomenon. White water rafting is also a great option in the area.
8. Playa Grande: This beach in Guanacaste, which is part of the National Park Marino Las Baulas, is another great place to see the arrival of Baula Sea Turtles (Leatherback Sea Turtles). Turtles start arriving the last week of October.
9. Ostional Wildlife Refuge: Located in Guanacaste, Ostional is the site of arrival of thousands of sea turtles.
10. Romance: What can be more romantic than a rainy afternoon in paradise? Planning your honeymoon in Costa Rica during the green season is a fantastic idea.
Other activities like surfing, sport fishing and scuba diving are pretty much good all year round, it all depends too on the area you will be visiting, but likely there will always be a place in Costa Rica where you can find the best conditions for a particular activity no matter the time of the year.
Pack your bug repellent and your raincoat and you’ll be ready to enjoy Costa Rica during the off-season.